Painful Monday
Nick started the 3f8 antibody. It drips for only a half an hour and is known to be painful. Well, it was very painful. The hard pain only lasted for about 8-10 minutes but poor Nick was really hurting. It was very difficult. The pain medicines finally kicked in and the rest of the day was tolerable but not good. We are told the first day is the worst and that it will get better. I hope so as yesterday was the hardest day we have had. We were expecting pain but we were not expecting what we got.
I know everyone must be saying "There must be better ways to manage the pain!" Believe me, I feel the same way and asked that question yesterday and will ask it more aggressively today. In my view, the pain and aftermath that Nick experienced yesterday is not acceptable. The answer I got is that the first day is the worst and he did very well.....whatever!
I have to remind myself constantly of the big picture that is going on here. Nick has "No Evidence of Disease" and this antibody has proven very effective at killing any remaining cancer cells in Nick's body. Multiple people including the doctors, nurses, and parents of long term survivors have told us how fortunate we are to have reached this stage of the treatment.
Lets hope today goes better!!


<< Home