Saturday, October 14, 2006

First Antibody Cycle - DONE!

Wow! It was much more difficult than we expected but it is over for now. Friday was mostly like Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday....it was long and difficult but tolerable with no surprises.

The key fact is that Nick is NED (No evidence of disease!) but Neuroblastoma has been proven to leave behind MRD (Minimal Residual Disease) that cannot be detected by the tests. The 3f8 antibody has proven itself to attach to MRD and cause the immune system to attack it. 3f8 cycles continue until Nick re-develops HAMA (Human Anti-Mouse Antibody) which would reject the 3f8. HAMA will probably occur in March or April or May. The chemo Nick received killed the normal HAMA that we all have, making 3f8 possible.

We would be able to come home, now, but they want to collect more stem cells next week in case they are needed for a rainy day. If Nick ever actually needs these, it would be a real bad situation but they want to have plenty just in case. We did this collection once before but did not get the optimum number for a "stem cell rescue" procedure which is a 4-week in-patient nightmare. Lets not even go there! The national standard protocol is to do the rescue but MSKCC has found that the antibody can be used instead with better results. So, we are being spared this miserable procedure unless there is a relapse and other conditions that would warrant it. I pinned one of the doctors and asked him to speculate (which they never do) on how many days it would take to complete the harvest...he said later rather than sooner. I pressed him and asked him if he would buy a plane ticket for Wednesday and he said no. So, we are looking at Wednesday-Late, Thursday or Friday for coming home.

Can't plan anything....get to pay the full Y fare....We'll be home when we get back! I think this whole 1 week in NY followed by 3 at home really means 1.5 weeks in NY followed by 2.5 at home. If it is not one thing, it is another. He needs a new line, he needs a bone marrow test, he needs this test or that test, etc. The good news is, it is way better than being here constantly. I think Nick and I have been home 3 times for 3 days each since June 28th.

Baseball Update - Lawrence is up in Redding at http://www.bigleaguedreams.com/ playing a tournament. This place is incredible and I know he will have a blast....get a couple knocks big L!! I can't think of any other baseball news going on.

I am really being long winded today but you are totally up to date now and I will give the blog a rest until Monday. Thanks again to everyone who is helping out!!!

Our friend Henry...who I met hanging out in front of the hotel with his Escalade looking for airport rides....takes us to the PDH in the mornings when he is not busy and he won't take a nickel for it. Nick was stoked to ride in style yesterday.